Monday, March 30, 2015

"I need my momma"

Just a quick adoption update...we have immigration approval and hope to send our dossier to China very soon!!!  Now...

Yesterday, we were driving back home from a long soccer trip to Greenville, SC when Sam started feeling car sick.  We had a van packed full of people and luggage, so I was sitting in the very back when this all started.  When I realized what was going on, I decided to switch seats to be closer to him.  In the middle of me straddling the middle row (I'm not as young and limber as I like to think I am) trying to get to him, Sam stole my heart once again with what he said.  In his voice of pain and suffering, he said, "I need my momma!"  Well, let me tell you I may have pulled a hamstring getting over that seat as fast as possible when I heard those words.  I clung to those sweet words as he puked into a cup off and on for the next hour.  I found joy in the middle of this smelly and messy moment.  My friend, Sharon, had mentioned "joy bombs" that God gives us and friends, I never guessed that I would have so much joy in being able to wipe vomit from Sam's nose and mouth.  What I learned in that moment is that: 1) Sam knows to cry out for his momma to help take care of him.  This might not seem like a big deal to those of you who have parented your child from birth, but this is huge for him to show his vulnerability.  2) Sam appreciates the care I gave him in holding the cup and cleaning him up.  How do I know this?  Hours after we got home, this was our converstation:

Me: Sam, I'm so glad you're feeling better.
Sam:  Me too, thank you for taking care of me.
Me: (teary/choking voice) You're welcome, buddy.

Seriously...how sweet!  This from a kid who is brutally honest.  Bad breath? He'll let you know.  Got a zit you're trying to cover?  He'll point it out. 




And then the icing on the cake came today.  We were putting a new booster seat in the car and he asked, "When we get Eli?  I miss him."  Joy bombs!!!  Keep dropping them, God! I love to see how God is preparing Sam to be a big brother. 

I hope that you can see the joy bombs in your life!  Keep your eyes open for them.  They are there even in the middle of puke fests and booster seat installations.  Cling to them!  Share them with others. 

Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Joy bombs! I love it! Reading this touched me immensely tonight. I had a God moment in the middle of the night last night I'll share with you in this link.
    Love keeping up with your story and am praying for you, Jon and your family.

    http://1013isnotmyhousenumber.blogspot.com/2015/04/iphone-calendar.html

    ReplyDelete